What is a BMT
BMT stands for Bone Marrow Transplant,
There is around a 30% chance of a sibling being a Bone Marrow match. Meaning that there is a 70% chance that someone will need a transplant from a non related donor. As opposed to a few different blood types, there are millions of different types of cell tissue. The success of a patient’s transplant depends on finding a match, otherwise their body will reject it.
In the UK alone, there is over 400,000 people registered on the donor list. Which may sound like a huge amount, but with around a 1 in 18 million chance of finding someone that is a perfect match, you soon realise that this number is not enough.